Thursday, July 15, 2010

BIG QUESTION

When reading this article I was thinking about the BIG QUESTION: "What did I learn that I'm glad I did?" I was thinking about this class in particular about all the tools that I have come across and have play with to understand how each one worked. I have taken already from the last three classes many did not tools to use in my future classroom and many of them I can bring with me to use for my student teaching this fall. I really enjoy blogspot for blogging about my perspective on all the readings and videos that we have been reading.

In this particular article, I felt the quote that was used was very appropriate. "Prepare young people for the tests of life, rather that a life a tests" This is very true but this is extremely difficult to do since this society have been so focused on STATE tests. I hope that when I am a teach I am able to fill my students with the appropriate material for them to pass the tests but I also what them to know about life as a whole and how much they have to offer and how much the world has to offer the, I want to touch children's lives at a early age so they can work hard in order to live their dream.

The list the article put together could be a great bag of trick for us to use in the classroom. Both teachers and students could benefit from this list.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    I agree that this course has allowed us to explore technology that will be useful in our future classrooms. I feel so much more prepared to handle the technology that I will find in my future job.
    I am sorry to say that I can not see the emphasis on state testing diminishing anytime soon. I have recently read, that NYS is going to change the testing again. It seems that even though the students have been doing better on the state tests, they are not ready for college. There has been an increase in the remedial courses that colleges need to offer. I am glad that the emphasis may be away from the scores on the tests to how ready our students are to succeed. Being ready to complete college work is a noble goal. It will be interesting to see how that is reflected in our elementary classrooms.

    ReplyDelete