Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nine Rules of Good Technology

I really enjoyed reading this article. I will touch upon the rules that I found valuable to me.

For the first rule: Good Technology is always available, I think this should be a high priority on the school's agenda to help each teacher have the best environment for the students. Many students learn from hands on or more interactive lessons. I believe that each and every classroom should have a SMART board. This is a great tool for teachers to use.

The second rule: Good Technology is always on, this would be great but unfortunately there always seems to be something wrong with the equipment. Many teachers take time out from teaching in order to fix a technology issue. This has happened ever in my undergrad and grad classes. The teacher becomes very frustrated and will ask a student to help or will call the TI desk.

The third rule: Good Technology is always connected, this article makes a great point that telephones are very convenient because they require no maintenance in order to connect with the world. The connection for the Internet is so different, I remember when the dial up was all there was and no you can be on the Internet instantly.

The fourth rule: Good Technology is standardized, which is not always the case. The same programs are not on all computers which make research and technology very hard to work with.

The ninth rule: Good Technology does what you want it to do, this statement has it's pro and cons. Technology can be a great tool to use in your classroom and throughout life. But when an issue occurs, technology is very annoying and takes a lot of impatient.

My personal opinion is that the Internet is a great resource and tool. I personally love to have a copy of the document in my hand. I'm not into the paperless world. I work at a hospital and they have been trying to go all paperless, this could be a huge issue because if the computer system ever went done. The medical staff would have no way to access the files on their patients. Technology definitely has it's pros and cons in every situation whether it be teaching or for other reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    My favorite rule is number 5 - Technology is simple. I know that I will not use something if it takes too long to set it up or navigate through the application. We have used some great technology in this course that conformed to all nine rules. My favorite so far was Publisher that I used for my poster. Glogster was also great for the posting of our newsletter.
    With so many choices today, it makes sense to only incorporate "good technology" into our classrooms. This article gave us wonderful tools to use so we can recognize it when we see it.

    ReplyDelete